Whipped Butternut Jalapeno Squash. Butternut squash is one of those versatile vegetables that you can use to make a variety of recipes. It has a creamy texture that makes it more filling than other water based vegetables. I never get tired of experimenting with butternut squash!
In this recipe, we whip the squash with jalapeno pepper to give it a kick, and then bake it in a casserole dish. This sweet and savory dish can be served as a side, or even for breakfast. Six ingredients, so easy and so yummy!
In California, we aren't as limited by seasonal fruits and vegetables, because we can find almost anything all year round. In view of the fact that it stores well, you may find butternut squash available anytime as well, and that is why having a selection of yummy butternut squash recipes is essential. (Find several other recipes here.)
You can literally use this vegetable in breakfast, lunch or dinner recipes, in salads, pasta bowls, on the grill or as a side for holiday dishes.
Ingredients For Whipped Butternut Jalapeno Squash
Take a quick look here when preparing your shopping list to be certain that you have all of the ingredients for this recipe:
Cubed butternut squash
Sea Salt and pepper
Steps For Preparing Whipped Butternut Jalapeno Squash
- Chop onions, garlic, jalapenos and butternut. (I purchase butternut already chopped into cubes from Trader Joe's because, I am efficient....no really just lazy.)
- Cook butternut for 8 minutes in microwave
- After cooling, mix butternut with mixer
- Add all remaining ingredients to mixed butternut
- Oil a 9x13 casserole dish and pour mixture in
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes
- Slice into squares
How Hot Is Jalapeno Pepper?
I think that jalapeno pepper is the best pepper to use in this otherwise mild dish, to serve one function--to give it some spice and some kick. Jalapeno peppers can range on the hot scale from mild to hot.
You can generally tell how hot a pepper will be by the outward appearance of the skin. A jalapeno pepper that is deprived of water, stressed, has lines and marks, or is red, will be hotter. Additionally, the part of the pepper near the seeds will be hotter than other parts of the pepper. If the skin is light, green and smooth, it will be milder.
Fun fact: Jalapeno is the state pepper of Texas.
There are so many recipes that use Jalapeno peppers to spice up the flavors. Here are some ideas:
- Stuffed jalapeños
- Pickled jalapeños and jalapeno pepper jelly.
- Chipotle peppers are actually are smoked jalapeños that are used in many Mexican recipes
- Jalapeno poppers are a tasty appetizer
- Jalapeños are often used in salsas and chilis
- Jalapeño peppers are also found in Vietnamese pho and banh mi
Tips For Making Whipped Butternut Jalapeno Squash
- After microwaving butternut, make sure that you drain any water that has accumulated in the bowl to avoid a mushy dish. Leave some squash pieces intact when mixing--you don't want puree.
- Do not use food processor to mix the squash; use a mixer for squash and a spoon when adding remaining ingredients
- If you make this recipe vegan, replace the eggs with your favorite egg replacer and substitute vegan yogurt. See egg replacer options here.
- You can also use whipped cream cheese instead of yogurt for a creamier dish
- Use caution (gloves)when cleaning jalapenos; peppers can burn your hands and definitely don't rub your eyes
Whipped Butternut Jalapeno Squash
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1/3 cup yogurt vegan or diary free if preferred
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup green onions or chives
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Cook butternut in microwave for 8 minutes to soften. Drain any liquid that has accumulated. Whip until mixed with hand mixer (not food processor). Leave some pieces of squash solid--you don't want puree.
- Add yogurt, eggs, syrup, salt, pepper, jalapeno, garlic and green onion/chives and mix with spoon.
- Pour mix into 9" x 13" casserole dish that has been oiled well.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
More recipes that you might enjoy: