Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread Pudding. While browsing recipes, I was inspired by a great Chocolate Chip Olive Oil Zucchini Banana Bread recipe that was created by @halfbakedharvest. It looked so scrumptious, I set out to make a similar vegan version. This Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread Pudding combines healthy ingredients of bananas and zucchini, and adds flavor with a touch of maple, cinnamon and vegan chocolate chips. The result: warm, gooey, chocolatey goodness that will definitely become one of your favorites when you need a little sweetness in your life. This recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free. Try it; I think you will love it as much as we do.
When you are eating vegan, gluten free and dairy free, it is sometimes difficult to find a baked dessert that is light, fluffy and delicious. Gluten free flours sometimes don’t rise well, or you have to combine so many flours to get the right result, it isn’t worth all of the time that it takes. Using a 1to1 Gluten Free Flour will eliminate all of that guessing.
Eggs help your recipe rise, and give you a light texture to your baked goods. Unfortunately, in vegan baking we don’t use eggs, so we have to come up with alternative solutions to get a good result. There are many suggestions for egg replacements, but I find that most of them don’t really work that well. After many, many failed experiments, I have come up with a plan that works for me when I am baking a dish that is both gluten free and vegan and I share it in this recipe.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Zucchini Banana Bread
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 organic zucchini shredded
- 1/2 cup coconut oil plus extra for oiling pan
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs for vegetarian option; For vegan option: Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg equivalent to 2 eggs Follow Your Heart for 2 eggs=4 tbsp powder, 1 cup of water whisked
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp gluten free vanilla
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips divided: 3/4 cup for mix, 1/4 cup for top
- 3 cups gluten free 1 to 1 flour I use Bob's Red Mill Baking Flour 1 to 1. You must use 1 to 1 flour to be sure that your bread pudding will rise.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Shred zucchini with food processor, shredding blade.
- Break up bananas and add to zucchini in food processor bowl. Mix throughly on low speed.
- Add coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, baking powder, sea salt, cinnamon. Mix.
- Pour mixture into large bowl.
- Add flour.
- For vegan option: In separate small bowl, add 4 tbsp Follow Your Heart egg replacement powder. Add 1 cup water, and whisk until smooth. Add to zucchini banana mixture.
- For vegetarian option, add 2 eggs to zucchini banana mixture.
- Add 3/4 cup of vegan chocolate chips.
- Mix with large spoon, (not mixer or food processor) until flour is completely absorbed and no lumps remain.
- Generously oil cast iron pan with coconut oil.
- Pour mixture into cast iron pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and add 1/4 cup of chocolate chips to top. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- This vegan version recipe was inspired by #HalfBakedHarvest and her recipe for Chocolate Chip Olive Oil Zucchini Banana Bread which you can find here.
What Is The Best Egg Replacement For Baking Vegan
When you are baking gluten free, and already have some challenges getting baked goods to rise, the recipe is further complicated if you are baking a vegan recipe, which doesn’t allow eggs. Eggs help your baked goods to rise, and give them the tender and fluffy texture that you love when biting into a piece of bread or muffin. I have tried many egg substitutes, and have generally been disappointed with flax eggs, aquafaba, and other concoctions. In this recipe I used Follow Your Heart egg replacement, and found that my bread pudding was light, fluffy and delicious–and still vegan.
What Is The Best Flour For Gluten Free Baking
If you have spent any time baking gluten free, you already know that one of the main challenges that you will confront is finding a flour that will rise sufficiently so that your bread or muffins are light and fluffy, and not the texture of a hockey puck. One of the best tips for getting your baked goods to rise, is using 1 to 1 flour (I have used Bob’s Red Mill Baking Flour 1 to 1 in this recipe, and look how much it has risen! I have also used Cup 4 Cup Gluten Free Flour and found that that works well too. ) The most important reason to use a flour that is designated 1 to 1, or Cup 4 Cup, is because you can then make all recipes calling for all purpose flour and substitute the exact measurement that the recipe calls for without the voodoo magic we used to have to do with flour combining to get the proper measurement. 1 to 1, means if your recipe calls for 1 cup of all purpose flour, you can use 1 cup of 1 to1, or Cup 4 Cup and expect a good result.
Why Baking In A Cast Iron Pan Is Best For Gluten Free Baking
A cast iron pan is shallow, and that means that your baked goods don’t have to rise as much to fill the pan. The design also allows more heat to penetrate your mixture, which is better for baking and rising than a standard bread pan, which causes your mix to be densely packed in a much taller space. The heat doesn’t permeate as well, and it may cause difficulty with even baking. For decades, my grandmother baked soda bread in a cast iron pan, and the bread was light, fluffy and evenly baked. It was the way they did it then, and still is a good solution today.
Tips For Gluten Free Vegan Baking:
1. Always use flour that offers a 1 to 1 ratio, as 1 to 1 or Cup 4 Cup Flour. When a recipe calls for all purpose flour, a 1 to 1 or Cup 4 Cup flour allows you to use exactly the same amount of gluten free flour that the recipe calls for (in all purpose flour). One cup of Gluten Free 1 to 1 flour is = to 1 cup of all purpose flour. No more mixing, combining and stressing over flour combinations to get the right balance.
2. If possible, bake your gluten free dish in a cast iron pan for more even baking.
3. For vegan baking, use a quality egg substitute so that your baked recipe will rise. I have been using Follow Your Heart egg replacement, but experiment with others to see what works for you.