Quinoa Chipotle Burger. If you are craving a burger, and want to try something that is new and completely fulfilling, you must give quinoa burgers a shot. The quinoa, beans and flax seed pack an abundance of protein and fiber, as well as many other nutrients. To keep it burger worthy, we added fresh spinach greens, avocado mash and carmelized onions. The chipotle seasoning and chipotle creme sauce give the burger a tangy hot and spicy flavor that will make you forget that it is so healthy. Yum, is all I can say, but judge for yourself.
Ingredients For Chipotle Burger
Your shopping list for this dish will include ingredients for preparing the burger, for building the burger and for the chipotle creme.
- cooked quinoa
- great northern beans
- ground flax
- chopped onions
- small zucchini
- red pepper
- smoked paprika, chipotle chile pepper, sea salt
- fresh spinach (for burger topping)
- avocado (for burger topping)
- 8 gluten free buns
- bermuda onion
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- raw cashews
- Mrs. Dash Chipotle Seasoning
- chipotle chile pepper
- sea salt
Directions For Preparing Burgers
Cook quinoa according to package directions, or in the Instant Pot. (See notes)
Chop red pepper and zucchini. Add quinoa, beans, spices, onion, flax to bowl and mix well.
Bake burgers at 375 degrees for 60 minutes, turning at 30 minutes. While your burgers are baking, saute your carmelized onions and make the Chipotle Creme.
Now that your burgers are done, it is time to build your Chipotle Burger. Add fresh spinach to your gluten free bun, then carmelized onions, burger, avocado mash and drizzle chipotle creme. Seriously, this is a flavor sensation unlike any other. It is hard to believe that this is a healthy dish--these burgers are vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free.
Tips For Preparing Burgers
- The recipe calls for 2 cups of cooked quinoa. You can cook according to package directions, or in the Instant Pot, like I did. In my opinion, the Instant Pot method gives you the fluffiest quinoa. To use the IP, add 1 cup of pre-rinsed quinoa, 2 cups of water and 1 tsp of sea salt to the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
- To help your burgers keep their shape, you can use a mold, like I did. Oil the edges with coconut oil so that the burger ingredients don't stick. (These are actually egg molds, and you can find them here.)
- You can also make these chipotle quinoa burgers as "meat balls" and use the chipotle creme for dipping. Since they would be smaller, reduce cooking time to 45 minutes.
- Burgers are an opportunity to be creative, so feel free to add anything that you love to your chipotle quinoa burger.
Quinoa Chipotle Burger With Portobello Bun
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 15 oz. can white northern beans
- 1/2 cup ground flax seed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chipotle chile pepper
- 1 cup spinach greens
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp Mrs Dash Chipotle seasoning
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chile pepper
- 1 juice of 1 lime and 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1 /2 tsp sea salt
- 1 purple Bermuda onion. sliced
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- Mix burger ingredients. Let set for 15 minutes and then form 8 burgers. Bake at 375 for 60 minutes, turning after 30 minutes. (I used parchment paper w/olive oil to prevent sticking.)
- Blend all chipotle sauce ingredients in blender.
- Combine onion, coconut oil and maple syrup in pan and cook over medium heat until onions are soft.
- Build your burger with spinach greens, carmelized onions, avocado, and chipotle sauce.
Other recipes that you might like: