Maple Butter Pumpkin Hummus. It is the season of pumpkin, and each and every year, we all want to have new recipes to enjoy with this fall favorite. Of course, you definitely can't go wrong with the traditional pumpkin recipes, but it is fun to experiment and try something new. I am always looking for recipes that I can pair with fresh fruits and vegetables all year around. Basically, that is how I created this hummus, and seriously, it is just like pumpkin pie, but with protein.
The main ingredient in this hummus, (chickpeas aka garbanzo beans,) is packed with nutrients, including fiber, protein, folate, iron, phosphorus, copper and manganese. For a 1 oz serving, chickpeas have 3 grams of protein.
I don't know about your family, but no one eats 1 oz of an appetizer that is freely available to dip in my house--it is more like 4 ounces, which means that this snack has a good serving of plant based protein.
Considering the fact that most dips have a negative nutritional value, this dip is a win/win. Delicious and nutritious. Everybody dip away. This dip is vegan, vegetarian, gluten free and diary free.
Ingredients For Maple Butter Pumpkin Hummus
Take a quick look at the ingredient list to make sure that you have all of the ingredients for this dish.
- Garbanzo beans/chickpeas
- Pumpkin (organic and gluten free if possible)
- Maple Syrup
- Butter (vegan butter if diary free or vegan)
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Juice of 1 orange
- Sea salt
- Fruits, vegetables, crackers. I used Trader Joe's gluten free sweet potato crackers.
I also served this hummus with flat bread. The best recipe that I found for that can be found here.
Steps For Making Maple Butter Pumpkin Hummus
- Drain chickpeas and reserve liquid in case you need it.
- Add all ingredients to high speed blender. I use a Vita Mix.
- Blend until smooth
- Prepare fruits, vegetables, crackers and if desired, flat bread.
- Sprinkle hummus with pumpkin pie spice and serve.
Maple Butter Pumpkin Hummus
- High speed blender
- 15 oz chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained reserve aquafaba liquid
- 7 oz 100% pumpkin I used ½ can Libby's organic, gluten free
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup melted butter use vegan butter for vegan or dairy free
- 1 orange, juice of 1 orange
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 4 cups fruits, vegetables or crackers for serving I used apples, carrots, celery and gluten free sweet potato crackers
- Drain garbanzo/chickpeas and reserve liquid.
- Add all ingredients to high speed blender and blend until smooth. I did not need extra liquid, but if you do, add small amounts of aquafaba liquid from beans.
- Serve with fruits, vegetables, crackers or flat bread.
- If making this recipe dairy free or vegan, use vegan butter