Grilled Cobb Salad. It is grill time, and there is nothing better than a salad made from grilled vegetables! This salad is prepared with super healthy ingredients--beets, butternut squash, red onions, endive lettuce, and brussel sprouts all amply seasoned with garlic and olive oil and served on a bed of fresh spinach.
For added protein, we added spicy chicken sausages, and topped with goat cheese and a simple balsamic dressing. You can prepare this dish vegan or vegetarian by omitting the chicken sausages and goat cheese. Same great flavor and nutrition! If you aren't able to grill, this recipe can easily be prepared by oven roasting the vegetables and chicken sausage.
Steps For Preparing Grilled Cobb Salad
Grilled Cobb Salad
- 6 cups fresh spinach
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 cups brussel sprouts, sliced
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- 5 small beets, cooked and sliced
- 3 small belgian endive lettuce
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 8 precooked chicken sausages, (small, 5") sliced into bitesize pieces
- ½ cup grated goat cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp granulated garlic
- Mix butternut and brussel sprouts in large bowl. Sprinkle with granulated garlic, salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil. Cook vegetables in microwave for 3 minutes.
- For grill: Spread butternut and brussel sprouts on grill evenly. Set temperature to low, and cover. Allow vegetables to cook until they are barely tender, flipping frequently, approximately 10-12 minutes. Add csliced chicken sausages to grill. Cook an additional 8 minutes, turning chicken. Add beets and endive and turn temperature to high. Cook an additional 5 minutes stirring frequently so that food doesn't stick or burn.
- For oven: Add all vegetables and chopped chicken sausages to baking sheet with silicon mat. (yes, even though chicken is pre-cooked) Sprinkle salt, pepper and drizzle olive oil on vegetables only. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, flipping at 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add chicken, spinach, butternut, brussel sprouts, endive, beets and onions to large bowl. Toss well. Add dressing and top with goat cheese as desired.
- Add all ingredients to small blender and blend
More Recipes Like Grilled Salad:
- I cooked these items on an electric grill, starting at a low temperature and increasing the temperature at the end for crispy grilling. If you are cooking with a gas grill, start at the lowest temperature. (check out the review of the George Foreman Electric Grill)
- I cooked the butternut squash and brussel sprouts in the microwave for 3 minutes to speed up the cooking time.
- I used beets from Trader Joe's that were precooked and grilled them for added flavor.