Crock Pot Mashed Potato Cabbage. Regardless of your eating plan, I think that most people would agree that mashed potatoes are a comfort food. In my family, potatoes were often combined with cabbage for a side dish to a variety of main courses.
This dish is so simple and perfect for your ordinary dinners or as one of your holiday side dishes. It is vegetarian, but goes really well with ham or turkey. Additionally, this combination is frequently enjoyed on St. Patrick's Day.
You can cook this dish on the stove top, in the crock pot, or in the Instant Pot.
Ingredients For Crock Pot Mashed Potato Cabbage
Take a quick look at the ingredient list to make sure that you have everything that you will need to make this dish:
2 large potatoes
Large head of cabbage-shredded
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped green onions
pinch black pepper
Steps To Make Crock Pot Mashed Potato Cabbage
1. Shred cabbage in food processor
2. Peel and slice potatoes
3. Chop green onions
4. Add all ingredients to crock pot
5. Add salt and water
6. Cook 7 hours
7. Drain remaining water from cooked potatoes and cabbage
8. Mash cooked potatoes and cabbage with hand blender
9. Drizzle melted butter and sprinkle with pepper to taste
Tips For Making Mashed Potato Cabbage
- To make this dish vegan or dairy free, use vegan butter
- Mashed potato cabbage is vegetarian and gluten free
- To cook on the stove top or Instant Pot, see alternate instructions in notes
- This dish is the perfect side for your Thanksgiving turkey dinner, or your Christmas ham dinner.
Crock Pot Mashed Potato Cabbage
- Crock pot
- 1 head cabbage, shredded (about 4 cups)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Add potatoes, cabbage, onions, salt and water to crock pot.
- Cook 7 hours on low.
- After cooking is complete, drain remaining water.
- Mash potatoes and cabbage with hand blender.
- Add to serving dish and drizzle with butter and sprinkle with pepper.
2. If you don't have a crock pot or Instant Pot, you can cook this dish on the stove top. Add all ingredients to a large soup pot and add water to top. Bring to boil, and reduce to simmer for 2 hours, or until potatoes are cooked. Drain and blend as described above.
3. If you prefer, you can cook this dish in the Instant Pot. Add all ingredients to Instant Pot, and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes. Drain and blend as described above.