MexiCali Quiche. Living in Southern California, there are certain things that just become part of your life. Good weather, lots of people, so much excellent food and avocados. I had never even heard of avocados before moving to California, but once you meet an avocado, it becomes a staple, and you will add it to everything that you can. In this case, I took all things California and created a quiche that I feel reflects our cuisine. This dish is vegetarian, gluten free and dairy free.
For this dish, I used a Lodge 10 1/4 inch cast iron skillet. One of the best things about using a cast iron pan, is that it is one pan cooking. I just toss everything in the pan, bake it, and breakfast is ready for the hungry crowd. (Actually, I think we can all agree that breakfast is good any time of the day or night.) This quiche also makes great left-overs, or you can freeze it for your meal planning. I definitely think that this dish will become one of your go to favorites! (Get your own Lodge skillet here.)
Ingredients For Mexicali Quiche
Take a quick look at the ingredient list to make sure that you have everything that you need to make this dish. For the quiche, you will need:
- fresh kale
- red pepper
- green onions
- pinto beans
- almond milk
- cheddar cheese
- sun-dried tomatoes
- green chiles
- corn tortillas
- olive oil
Steps For Preparing Mexicali Quiche
- Lodge Cast Iron Pan
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup fresh kale
- 1/2 cup soy or almond milk
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1/2 cup pinto beans
- 1/2 cup sun dried or fresh cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp green chiles canned
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded for dairy free, use vegan cheese
- 3 corn tortillas
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Generously grease the bottom of a 10 1/2" cast iron pan
- Place the 3 corn tortillas, covering the bottom
- Scramble eggs in large bowl. Mix all remaining ingredients in the bowl with the eggs.
- Pour mixture into pan on top of corn tortillas.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Serve quiche topped with cilantro, avocado slices and salsa.
More recipes like MexiCali Quiche:
For more photos, see Instagram