Vegan Spaghetti and (no)Meatballs is a delicious, flavorful twist on the old traditional favorite. If you used to be a meat eater, you will not believe how amazing these vegan (no)meatballs are! You can serve them with this spaghetti recipe or with any other meal. In additional to the yummy goodness that we find in a bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, the meatballs and sauce have added tofu for protein. The fresh herbs enhance the flavor, and this dish is perfect for left overs. Vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 14 oz can jackfruit organic if possible
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil optional, if needed
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano optional
- 2 28 oz cans of tomatoes
- 1 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 oz tofu, crumbled
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano (or 2 tsp dried oregano)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (or 2 tsp dried basil)
- 1/4 cup fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 16 oz gluten free spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix ingredients for (no)meatballs and bake. While meatballs are baking, prepare sauce in Instant Pot. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. **If you are not using an Instant Pot, prepare the sauce first, and bake (no)meatballs and cook spaghetti while sauce is simmering. Your total cook time will be adjusted if you are cooking on the stove top.
- Add jackfruit to food processor and pulse to break up large pieces. (Do not liquify) Add remaining ingredients to food processor and pulse until all ingredients are mixed well. Mixture will be thick, so If necessary, add olive oil.
- Roll meatball mixture into balls, approximately 1-1/2 inch. You should have 12 meatballs. Place on baking sheet with silicon or parchment. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Add to sauce and spaghetti.
- Add all sauce ingredients to Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Let pressure release naturally, NR.
- **If you don't have an Instant Pot, add all ingredients to large soup pot on stove top. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Allow sauce to cool. Use hand blender to blend sauce until it is smooth, or the texture that you want. Serve on spaghetti and (no)meatballs. Top with fresh oregano and basil.
- Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain spaghetti in colander and rinse with water. Add sauce, (no)meatballs, and top with fresh basil and oregano.