Spinach Potato Mushroom Breakfast Casserole. Because this dish contains eggs, it is labeled as a breakfast casserole, but everyone knows that eggs and breakfast are perfect any time of the day or night. This casserole uses all the basic casserole favorites–eggs, spinach, onions, potatoes and mushrooms. The shredded potatoes give the casserole kind of a hash brown texture, and when combined with the vegetables, it has everything you need for a delicious, filling and oh so easy meal. If you prefer a vegetarian or vegan option, omit the eggs and still enjoy the deliciousness.
The great thing about casserole dishes, is that you toss all the ingredients into one pan, and you can either bake it immediately, or refrigerate it for baking later. This one pan cooking convenience makes this casserole perfect for special events, (or Christmas morning breakfast. ) Using basic ingredients, you will be ready to dig into this yummy dish within an hour.
Ingredients For Spinach Potato Mushroom Breakfast Casserole
Here is the shopping list for this breakfast casserole:
Gluten free bread
Parmesan cheese (or vegan cheese for dairy free)
Steps For Making Spinach Potato Mushroom Breakfast Casserole
Spinach Mushroom Potato Breakfast Casserole
- Food processor
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 slices gluten free bread, cubed
- 2 potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 2 cups spinach or greens
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 cup green onions, sliced
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 5 oz shredded parmesan cheese for dairy free or vegan substitute vegan cheese
- 8 eggs omit eggs for vegetarian/vegan option
- Chop green onions and shred potatoes in food processor. Remove and set aside.
- Add 8 eggs, milk, salt, pepper and dijon to food processor and blend well.
- Slice bread into cubes.
- Using 9x13 pan, oil bottom and sides. Add onions, potatoes, mushrooms, spinach and bread cubes to pan and mix well. Add parmesan cheese to egg mixture and stir (not with food processor). Pour egg mixture into pan and stir.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- I prepared this dish ahead of time, and baked it in the oven the next morning. (This is the perfect dish to enjoy on Christmas morning, because you can do just that.)
- For a vegetarian/vegan option, eliminate the eggs and substitute vegan cheese.