Grilled Macrobiotic Bowl. We love fresh produce and everything green here. There are many restaurants in LA that specialize in raw, vegan and vegetarian organic food. I frequent those restaurants whenever I can, and it is always an (expensive) dream meal. One of my favorite dishes is a macrobiotic bowl which features grains, fermented food, and sea vegetables. Today, I created a homemade version of the macrobiotic bowl so that I can enjoy it whenever I have the craving. Now, you can enjoy one too.
What is macrobiotic, and why do I want to eat that way? Generally speaking a macrobiotic diet involves eating primarily a plant based diet and combination of nutrients to obtain a yin-yang energy balance in the body. I love these bowls, and definitely feel better after I eat one. This bowl adds to the deliciousness of a macrobiotic bowl by grilling the ingredients and then topping with Garlic Cashew Creme. This dish is vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
Grilled Macrobiotic Bowl
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup cubed butternut squash
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or quinoa I used Seeds of Change Brown Rice and Quinoa
- ½ cup sauerkraut
- ½ cup adzuki beans cooked
- ½ cup baby kale or your preferred greens
- 1 tbsp dulse flakes
- 1 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
- salt and pepper to taste
Garlic Cashew Creme
- ½ cup raw cashews
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- Pre cook butternut in microwave for 2 minutes
- Spread olive oil on grill. *See notes if you are not grilling.
- Add butternut, rice, beans, greens, sauerkraut, (and garlic if you are grilling them) to the grill.
- Grill on medium high for 5-7 minutes, turning frequently until done. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble bowl
- Sprinkle dulse flakes and toasted pumpkin seeds
- Top with Garlic Cashew Creme
Garlic Cashew Creme
- Blend all ingredients in high speed blender
Tools of the Trade for this recipe:
George Foreman Indoor Outdoor Grill. Check out my complete review of this grill here, and take a look at all of the recipes that I have been grilling and why it makes your grilling indoors or outdoors, so much easier. This post contains affiliate links.
Other recipes like Grilled Macrobiotic Bowl that you might like: