Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup. If you are looking for something light yet filling, a bowl of grilled chicken tortilla soup is perfect for you, whether it is Cinco de Mayo or not. The combination of the red pepper marinade and grilled chicken give the soup an off the chart yummy flavor. Ready in less than 30 minutes, this soup is gluten free and dairy free.
Yes, it is May, and in California, it is definitely grill season. More importantly, we are still in quarantine, so making delicious food at home has become a priority. This soup is so healthy--lean spicy grilled chicken is added to sauteed vegetables, fresh jalapeno and seasonings and topped with cilantro and green onions. So many layers of flavor!
Instructions For Making Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup
First, prepare the chicken marinade with the olive oil and spices. Rub on chicken and let that set while you chop vegetables.
Next, add olive oil, spices and vegetables to soup pot and saute for about 5 minutes.
While all that is going on, slice your tortillas into strips and bake in the oven at 375 for 10 minutes, or until crispy.
Place the chicken on the heated grill and cook 10 minutes on each side, or until completely cooked. Slice chicken.
When vegetables are done, add vegetable broth and chicken and heat and stir well. Serve soup with tortilla strips and fresh cilantro and green onions.
I actually cooked extra chicken on the grill, so I made a Grilled Chicken Taco Salad (recipe will be posted on Friday) at the same time, and I must say, the creamy cilantro dressing makes it a recipe that you definitely might want to try.
Grilled Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups corn (if frozen, thawed)
- 2 tablespoon liquid aminos or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 10 corn tortillas
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh cilantro and green onions for garnish
- Rub olive oil and marinade spices on chicken breasts. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Saute onion, garlic, mushrooms, corn and tomatoes in olive oil in large pot. Add spices.
- Cook chicken 10 minutes on each side on grill. (or until completely cooked). Slice chicken after removing grill.
- Slice tortillas into strips. Bake at 375 for 10 minutes or until crispy.
- Add chicken and vegetable broth to sauteed vegetables and mix well. Top with cilantro, green onions and tortilla strips.