Easy Christmas Cake. I named this recipe easy Christmas cake for the obvious reason that, it is easy. Most importantly though, because Christmas is for kids, I wanted it to be a recipe that the kids can participate in making. Using a basic yellow cake recipe, pie filling and butter, the cake is definitely tasty. The fun of this cake though, is in the decorating!
I have about 300 recipes on this blog, and none of the recipes have a boxed cake or any other pre-made food. All of my recipes feature home-made, healthy food using seasonal ingredients.
This cake is none of that. It isn’t a homemade recipe, it is a gluten free box yellow cake with gluten free canned frosting. It isn’t healthy and doesn’t feature seasonal ingredients, but that is not the point of this recipe. The point is to create an artistic expression of the Christmas season, on top of your cake!
After baking the cake, we frost it with gluten free frosting that has been dyed green. (I could not find gluten free green frosting, and for this cake, I wanted the frosting to be green.) To create a snow look, we used shredded coconut. For decor, we used small peppermint candies, and 3 edible candy cane trees.
Ingredients For Easy Christmas Cake
- gluten free yellow cake mix
- raspberry pie filling (or your favorite flavor)
- 4 oz butter
- gluten free frosting
- green food coloring
- shredded coconut
- peppermint candy pieces
Easy Christmas Cake
- 15 oz gluten free yellow cake mix
- 21 oz gluten free raspberry pie filling you can use other flavors as well
- 4 oz butter use vegan butter for vegan or dairy free
- 16 oz vanilla gluten free frosting
- 1/4 tsp green food coloring preferably gluten free, no preservatives
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut
- 12 pieces of round peppermint candy
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cake mix, pie filling and butter to large bowl. Mix with spoon.
- Grease 9x13 baking dish with butter. Pour cake mix into dish and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Let cake cool.
- Add food coloring to frosting and mix well. Frost cooled cake and swirl design. Sprinkle shredded coconut on top of cake. Add trees and peppermint candy.Serve.