Chocolate Tea Cake With Whipped Persimmon. I made this chocolate cake purposefully small, so it could be a treat, without being high in calories and sugar. It turned out perfectly--chocolate with a light sweetness, low in carbs and hidden nutrition with yellow squash. The Urban Dictionary defines Tea Cake as: " pastry, bread, or cake traditionally served with afternoon tea, that can be eaten with the fingers." By all means, let them eat cake...with their fingers. Vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
Chocolate Tea Cake
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 4 oz organic applesauce
- ½ cup cocoa or cacao powder
- ⅛ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup finely shredded yellow squash or zucchini
- Coconut oil for loaf pan
Persimmon and Choc Chip Topping
- 1 ripe persimmon for topping
- 1 tbsp vegan choc chips for topping
- Mix all ingredients with wooden spoon
- Use coconut oil to grease bottom and sides of loaf pan, 9x5
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
- Blend very ripe persimmon in small blender like Magic Bullet until smooth. (Not vitamix as it will stick to bottom)
- Spread persimmon on top of chocolate cake. It will become somewhat gel like.
- Sprinkle with vegan chips.
Other recipes like Chocolate Tea Cake that you might enjoy:
For more food photos go to Instagram.