Chile Lime Rice Bean Bowl. It is back to school week here in California, and despite careful planning, dinner is always a challenge when the schedule gets busy. For that reason, it is important to have several quick and easy dinners ready to go with simple ingredients that you have on hand. We have got you covered!
This bowl requires only six ingredients, and there are things that you most likely have on hand. Rice, beans, tofu, greens, tomatoes, onions and spices tossed together result in an awesome, spicy, filling bowl that is packed with protein and fiber. You can have it for dinner, take left overs for lunch, or add an egg for a great breakfast bowl. You will want to add this recipe to your regular menu because because it is easy, quick and delicious. This dish is vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
Chile Lime Rice Bean Bowl
- 16 oz organic extra or super firm tofu, cut into cubes drained and moisture removed
- 2 cups cooked brown rice/quinoa and brown rice I use Seeds of Change Garlic Quinoa and Brown Rice
- 1 can, 15oz black beans drained
- 1 can, 14.5 oz roasted tomatoes drained
- 2 cups mixed greens
- ½ cup green onions or leeks, chopped
- 1 tbsp chile lime seasoning I used Trader Joe's, but any brand will work. See notes for a homemade recipe if you want to make your own
- 1 tbsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ avocado, sliced
- 2 tbsp cilantro
- Remove tofu from package. Wrap in clean towel. Place weight on top to remove moisture and let sit for 15 minutes. (I used a cast iron pan, but use anything heavy)
- After tofu has moisture removed, cut into cubes. Heat olive oil in pan, and add tofu. Sprinkle with granulated garlic and salt and stir fry for 5 minutes on medium heat, gently turning so you don't break tofu.
- Add rice, beans, onions and greens. Stir into tofu. Sprinkle chile lime seasoning and mix well.
- When rice, beans and greens are throughly heated, add tomatoes and mix.
- Serve with cilantro and avocado.
How To Remove Moisture From Tofu
When cooking with tofu, one of the challenges is often removing the moisture so that the rest of the ingredients in the dish do not become soggy. In this case, we definitely want to do that because the rice and beans will not be as delicious if they are soggy there is a greater chance that your tofu cubes will be solid, and will not crumble. The first step is to buy extra firm tofu. The firmer the tofu, the less water it contains. There are several varieties of tofu, each suitable for a different purpose. For stir fry, we use extra or super firm, which is also very high in protein. When making smoothies however, silken tofu is best. For this dish then, what is the best way to remove moisture from tofu?
First, open the tofu and drain as much water as possible. Place the tofu on a paper towel and blot. Using a clean towel, wrap the block of tofu. In order to squeeze more water out of the tofu, you need to apply pressure to the tofu block by using weight--I used a cast iron pan. After wrapping the tofu in the towel, place the weight on top of the tofu and let sit for at least 15 minutes. Just gently place the pan, (or weight) on the top, evenly distributing the weight, but do not press too hard on the tofu, as it may break.
After water is removed, slice tofu into equal size cubes, approximately 1" in size. Add olive oil to pan, and stir fry tofu on medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Sprinkle salt and granulated garlic on tofu. Stir gently so that you don't break tofu cubes.
Tips For Chile Lime Rice Bean Bowl:
More recipes like Chile Lime Rice Bean Bowl:
Chile lime seasoning makes this dish. If you haven't tried it, get ready, you will probably be addicted. If you want to make your own homemade chile lime seasoning, check out this recipe.