Apple Upside Down Cake. During the holiday season, we love to enjoy dessert, but want to keep it as healthy as possible. This apple cake features fresh apples, and offers a vegan option. It is light, but incredibly satisfying for that holiday sweet tooth. Vegan, gluten free and dairy free.
Apple Upside Down Cake
- 1-½ cup of gluten free flour
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 3 tsp of baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup soy or almond milk.
- 1 egg for vegetarian option; egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg for vegan option. I use Follow Your Heart Vegan Egg
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup vegan butter melted
- 4 cups of fresh apples sliced
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- Mix apples, vegan butter and coconut sugar in 10" cast iron pan. Cook on low heat until apples are tender, approximately 10 minutes.
- Mix all cake ingredients in bowl until smooth. Pour over apple mixture in cast iron pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
- When cake is baked, run knife around edge of pan to be certain cake doesn't stick to edges.
- Flip cake onto your cake plate.
- Serve plain, or with coconut whipped cream.
Steps To Prepare Apple Upside Down Cake
For more food photos, see my Foodgawker Gallery.